RV Blog--Life in a Box. This just ain't 'camping' any more....

Sunday, November 05, 2006:

I saw something yesterday that I don't ever want to see again! It was a black computer screen telling me that the clock had stopped. Mind you, I had no idea of the significance of that statement--but I knew it wasn't good!

Leading up to this moment was a short, slow-motion sequence of events which I also never want to see again! First came the travel mug half full of coffee, tilting and dumping it's contents ONTO the laptop. Then things began to flash and beep and scream (that was me) and belch and barf, while I frantically disconnected the electricity and yanked the battery and turned the whole thing upside down while simultaneously grabbing a towel and sopping coffee. Suddenly, I knew how the folks on the Jerico show felt, right after they saw the mushroom clouds!

Then I tilted the laptop onto it's side and watched coffee drain out, and set it down in front of the electric heater. Next, I dug in the cabinet for the new bag of dark chocolate M & Ms, took a Xanax, and sat down--and began to breathe (good air in--bad air out).

Some time later, I attempted to reboot...and eventually the black screen appeared. Being a resourceful person, I grabbed my cellphone and called my son-in-law, who understands all things computer. And he sadly told me that, sure enough, it was most likely dead. The good news was that the hard drive might be resurrected to live in another computer. So, I packed the computer away in it's bag upside down and went back to my chocolate and called a friend and played a game of "Can you top THIS?"

Much later, being an optimistic person by nature, and having decided that going around knocking on the neighbors' doors (most of them are construction workers) in search of a bottle of something soothing was probably not going to improve my quality of life or fix my link to the outside world--I dug out the laptop and began to re-assemble it. And it began to boot! It told me to press F12, it told me to do a couple of other things, and then it took me back to the World Wide Web! Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Eventually, hubby came home from the new job--clutching papers to fill out and telling me that they told him to come back on Monday! Little Harpo continued to 'do his business' whenever he went out into the grass! Life is good. Or, it will be when we get this dinky box-on-wheels taken back to IL and bring my home-on-wheels back here and open it out! Word is that this job is only supposed to last a couple more weeks, but there is no way I can foresee myself living in this phone booth for 2 more weeks!

Later!


Dinah // Sunday, November 05, 2006
______________________

Comments: Post a Comment

This site is powered by Blogger because Blogger rocks!









The life and times of a gypsywoman and her farmer-turned-construction-worker hubby, living in a fifth wheel camper, and other stuff.

My Links



Archives << current

--> >